The Writing Program is committed to creating inclusive classrooms where students and faculty are challenged to encounter differences (of background, of experience, of perspective, of intellectual commitments) and to respond by engaging respectfully and thoroughly. We aim to create “brave” spaces, where complex topics and concepts are explored using critical and creative thinking and where people are respected.
CWRU Land Acknowledgement
In recognizing the land upon which we reside, we express our gratitude and appreciation to those who lived and worked here before us; those whose stewardship and resilient spirit makes our residence possible on this traditional homeland of the Lenape (Delaware), Shawnee, Wyandot Miami, Ottawa, Potawatomi, and other Great Lakes tribes (Chippewa, Kickapoo, Wea, Piankishaw, and Kaskaskia). We also acknowledge the thousands of Native Americans who now call Northeast Ohio home.
Case Western Reserve University and the greater Cleveland area occupy land officially ceded by 1100 chiefs and warriors signing the Treaty of Greenville in 1795.
Respecting Gender Identity: Pronouns & Prefixes
Kim’s Pronouns: she/her/hers
Kim’s Prefix: Prof. or Dr. (Emmons)
CWRU’s Student Information System (SIS) allows students to indicate their preferred pronouns and prefix. You will find this information for your students in your class list.
Conducting Ethical Research
The Writing Program is committed to using ethical practices when doing research involving human subjects (i.e., living individuals or identifiable private information). This includes:
- Conducting research about students (including their writing)
- Assigning human subjects research projects to students
Before conducting or assigning human subjects research, please review our guidelines and consult with the Director of Composition.
- Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity: https://case.edu/diversity/
- Flora Stone Mather Center for Women: https://case.edu/centerforwomen/
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Center: https://case.edu/lgbt/
- Office of Multicultural Affairs: https://students.case.edu/departments/oma/
- Disability Resources: https://case.edu/studentlife/healthcounseling/disability-resources
- Social Justice Institute: https://case.edu/socialjustice/
- Community Concerns Reporting System: https://students.case.edu/division/ccrs/
- University Health & Counseling Services: https://students.case.edu/departments/wellness/