Writing Program Faculty, please mark your calendars for AY 2020-21 orientation: August 17-21, 2020.
We thank you for your patience as we continue to finalize our programming – please check back often! If you have questions about your attendance at any particular event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
All Orientation Activities will be conducted via Zoom.
All Writing Program meeting links will be provided on the Writing Program Canvas Site.
Monday, August 17, 2020
10:00-11:30 – New English Graduate TA Welcome
1:00-1:25 – Writing Program Welcome & Opening Remarks
1:30-2:20 – Conversation 1: Reflecting on Equity Pedagogy
Graduate students will attend one session; SAGES Teaching Fellows & Professional Communication Lecturers will select one (of two) sessions to attend.
- Grad Student Moderators: Martha Schaffer & Kim Emmons
- Faculty Group 1 Moderators: Arthur Russell & Vicki Daniel
- Faculty Group 2 Moderators: Gusztav Demeter & Michael Parker
2:30-3:30 – Conversation 2: Taking Action Toward Equity Pedagogy
All writing faculty will choose one of four sessions to attend.
- Inclusive Syllabus Design & Class Activities (Moderators: Mike Householder & Erika Olbricht)
- “Doing Our Own Work: and Co-Creating a New Pedagogical Culture in and Beyond the Writing Seminar (Moderators: Gabby Bychowski, David Busch, Andrea Milne)
- Supporting Students’ Self-Advocacy (Moderators: Brie Parkin & Allison Morgan)
- Assessment Practices that Support Equity (Moderators: Martha Schaffer & Kim Emmons)
3:40-4:30 – Synthesis & Closing Remarks
4:30-5:30 – Continuing the Conversation & Virtual Happy Hour
- Check-in on Equity (Co-Hosts: Vicki Daniel & Brita Thielen)
- Welcome Back Happy Hour (No-Host)
Tuesday, August 18, 2020
10:00-11:00 – ENGL 148/150 (Host: Martha Schaffer)
10:00-11:00 – ENGL 398 Staff Meeting (Host: Kim Emmons)
11:15-12:15 – ENGL 180 (Hosts: Martha Schaffer & Brie Parkin)
1:30-2:30 – Foundations (Host: Martha Schaffer)
1:30-2:30 – ESL (Host: Gusztav Demeter)
2:45-3:45 – WRC All Staff Meeting (Host: Brie Parkin)
4:00-5:00 – SAGES Teaching Fellows Staff Meeting (Host: Vicki Daniel)
Wednesday, August 19, 2020
Office Hours (drop-in to share your news &/or ask questions)
11:00-12:00 – Mike Householder
12:00-1:00 – Brie Parkin
2:00-3:00 – Gusztav Demeter
3:00-4:00 – Martha Schaffer
4:00-5:00 – Kim Emmons
Thursday, August 20, 2020
Unscheduled time for appointments, consultations, etc.
Friday, August 21, 2020
11:00-12:00 – English Graduate Student Association (EGSA) Meeting (Host: Hayley Verdi)
1:00-3:00 – New WRC Consultant Orientation
4:00-5:00 – English Department Welcome (Back) “Picnic”
All writing faculty are invited to join.